Friday 10 August 2012

The great Bob Hoskins is retiring

Today I have heard the sad news that Bob Hoskins is retiring from acting, having been diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease.
I have loved Bob Hoskins's work for a long time, and remember first seeing him as Mr Smee in Spielberg's awesome little movie Hook (1991). I believe Hoskins's portrayal was much more in-depth, charming and humorous than Disney's could ever have hoped for. He was just perfect.
Then of course, came the great Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988), which is considered a classic by just about everybody I know, and gets dedicated viewing time every Christmas.

As I matured, I began to take in his famous gangster movies, my favourite being Mona Lisa (1986). This flick, which just about everybody I know has never even heard of, boasts a Great British cast, including Michael Caine and Robbie Coltrane, and studies the dark, heart-wrenching truths of prostitution. It also features a monumental bit of rough-house from pint-sized Hoskins who, while jumping 3 feet in the air, headbutts a huge bad guy right in the face. It's really neat!


Bob's other peak is The Long Good Friday, alongside Helen Mirren. It's a detailed insight into the crazed Thatcher's Britain and its subsequent underworld. Considered his breakthrough role, he became THE actor of the British Gangster genre.

Oh, I do love Bob Hoskins! He's so sweet and charming, and could be your uncle, but he packs a mean punch, so he's definitely the uncle you'd want by your side if you happened across any London gangsters (pray you don't!). While absolutely captivating in serious, sinister roles, he is equally entrancing with his comedy, and absolutely glows with allure. He is so perfectly polar in his craft, and it is this presence that I am going to miss in the future. I truly hope his life is long and enjoyable after his retirement, and at least we can all take joy from his classic characters, ever immortalised on our screens.

No comments:

Post a Comment